Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Tuesday, June 30, 2015

Funemployment!


Eleven days have passed since I quit my job. It is amazing how many hours actually exist in the day! I have been filling my new found "free time" with odd jobs, so teeeeechnically I've only been truly "unemployed" for two days. That being said, it is such a strange feeling to have energy and more importantly time to live my life outside of work.

Let me back up a bit....


I have worked since I was 15 - throughout high school, college, and obviously post college. Hard work lives in my blood. However, I came to a point at my most recent job where I was unhappy and not living life outside of work. The realization came that change was necessary. If you don't take care of yourself, how are you to be happy? I put in my notice and worked my final hours on Thursday, June 18th.

















After a crazy wedding weekend, the following Monday of my first day of "nothing" loomed. Not having a job is definitely a different kind of stress - how to pay the bills ranking as the #1 thought on your mind. (Especially living in San Francisco!) But you know what? There are lots of ways to make cash.... and I happen to have a desired skill set: childcare experience. In six days I cared for four different families, reassuring me that I'll be okay in the months leading up to my trip (click to read more about this!) 

In between wiping noses and changing diapers, I get to plan for my trip, spend time in the sun on Baker Beach (my favorite place to nap), go for jogs, and cook again! Baker Beach is just 10 minutes from my front step - a nice walk in the sunshine. Golden Gate Park, Lands End, and the Presidio are also all within running distance of my place, so taking a quick jog around always rewards me with tall trees or interesting SF sights. I am low on Vitamin D from working inside so frequently, therefore Funemployment goal #1 = absorb as much Sunlight as possible! My eating habits at work got out of control, too. I was completely addicted to sugar - but now am slowly getting myself off of it. Now, I have been cooking every other day and feeling healthier by the minute.

Each day proves that leaving my job was the right choice for me. I am a very planned person and expected to regret this decision. Fortunately, every time I see a friend that I normally wouldn't have had time to see... or make a new friend that I might not have met, it affirms my lifestyle change. I am not sure what I will do for work when I come back from traveling, but the whole point of this time off and the world travels is to figure that out.


Oh Snapchat Adventures!! Thank God for wine & good friends

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!