Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Hanoi, Vietnam: Day 35

Day 35: Sick and Homesick


I'm going to be very honest, I didn't feel very well when I got to Hanoi. Whatever caused me to not feel well in Phong Nha (I think it was something I ate at the bus stop), didn't go away. I think sickness and home sickness go hand in hand because I really wanted to be home with my family and a hot fire. Instead, I caught up on blogging for several hours at my hostel and booked a cruise for the following morning. I took a break to grab a sandwich and walk to see the lake.


I would never stay at that place again. The rim was fine enough, space wise, and the sheets seemed clean. The bathroom - a different story. I couldn't breath in there and felt dirtier each time I entered. To make matters worse, the fit in the bed next to me woke up in the middle of the night to find bed bugs. I slept awful for the rest of the night, also preoccupied that I hasn't heard back from the cruise I booked to know if they would be picking me up in the morning or not....

Day 36: The hostel's one redeeming quality is Daisy at the front desk. I woke up, so feeling sick, still not knowing if I'd be on the cruise that day, and more homesick than ever. I teared up and started looking at flights to go to Thailand, at least a familiar face was just a flight away!

Daisy brought me a whipped coffee and offered for me to go out with her that night and tried to make me feel better. People like her make the world a brighter place. Moments later, a guy walked in, picking me up for my cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!