Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Fleet Week and Final Goodbyes

Tomorrow. The time finally arrived! Tomorrow I leave the country after much anticipation and too much planning. After one more time practicing packing, I finally packed "for real." Here are the results...





The past three days have been a whirl wind between last minute fun shenanigans as well as errands.

On Sunday, my aunt, uncle, cousins, their grandma, and I joined my uncle's friend on his boat for a long ride across the Bay. Captain Joe had everything geared up for us as we arrived early that morning with enough food to last us four days. We left the Benicia Marina before he passed the helm on to me - I was in such a happy place. Bay breeze to my face, sun warming me, mostly quiet waters, I stood there for the majority of the three hour trip simply enjoying myself and learning the ropes from Joe. We arrived to San Francisco Bay with about an hour to spare before the Fleet Week show began. As soon as we entered the fog, our previously warm and sunny day drastically changed to hazy and fridged. We prayed that the fog wouldn't cause the Blue Angels to cancel the show. Fortunately, as we dropped anchor and settled in front of Alcatraz, the fog subsided as the first plane began its tricks above the city.

What an awe-some view. The aircrafts practically touched the waters and sounded so loud as if we could reach out and touch them. Even with the fog playing peek-a-boo - this by far is the best way to watch Fleet Week. Hundreds of vessels crowded the water, except for 'the box' patrolled by the Coast Guard, cleared for the fleet to perform their tricks.

As we pulled up anchor after the roaring Blue Angels flew away, the rock and roll of the afternoon waters became apparent. I admit I felt a bit green as we fought to get past the roughest part of the bay. Chairs and coolers flew across the boat before we finally reached a calm. Returning against the current took us much longer; it was dark when we finally pulled into the marina (I got to experience driving in the dark too! ). What a day- the pictures don't do it justice!


A friend told me the planes are within 18 inches of each other... crazy!



Monday and today I ran around checking off a couple of bucket list sites, last minute lunch goodbye to a dear friend, and getting myself ready to go and Bianca (my car) ready for storage. I'm not doing to lie - it was hard tucking her under her new gray car cover! Below are a couple pictures from the past couple days. I'm exhausted, but sleepless with anticipation of tomorrow. Goodnight! Next post will be from UAE!

Vermont Street - the actual most crooked street in SF

Last full day with Bianca - took her to Twin Peaks one more time


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind fleet week boating trip comments, wonderful explanation and beautiful photos! If I remember correctly you should be arriving at your first destination this evening! Hope the trip went well and your first destination awesome...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Joe!! I am closing out day three in Dubai and finally about to write about it! Crazy to think that a week ago today we were out on the bay! I hope you've had a great weekend - take care!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!