Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Friday, January 15, 2016

Auckland, New Zealand: Days 86, 87, 88

January 9, 2016 - January 11, 2016

Day 86: Arrival, Spark, YMCA Hostel, Auckland Harbour, Viaduct


I landed in Auckland airport after a full day of travel. I'd arrived 4 hours early to the airport in Bali (to get the cheapest ride of course), making the arrival that much sweeter.



Also, apparently you need to have proof that you'll leave the country before they allow you to board the plane, so I booked my flight back home!!! After a few days debating whether to extend my flight or not - I decided to keep it. So, February 8th is the day! Less than a month away... I can't believe it. See you soon, friends.

If you come to New Zealand, go ahead and get a SIM card from Spark for your phone. You don't get a ton of data, but they have free wifi stations in almost every city I've visited. I don't use my data at all (saving it for emergencies), but I have unlimited texting and more than necessary calling time.

Ok - onto Auckland. I took their Skybus downtown  (which also has free wifi - come on USA keep up with the times!). For the first night, I stayed at the YMCA hostel and was upgraded to my own room. Hostels here don't offer free wifi, but the facilities are nice and clean and modern.



With lots of daylight left, I set out for a little jog/walk. A friend recommended Victoria Park, so I began there, then through Ponsonby, continuing downhill discovering a bike path. You know you're in New Zealand, where the people are overflowing with kindness, when someone leaves are brand new tennis ball with a sweet note as as random act of kindess.

Continuing further along the path, I eventually came to the Auckland Harbour Bridge and Auckland Harbour. Beautiful view over the bay and of the city skyline, with sky tower guiding me back to my hostel.



That evening, I walked down to the Viaduct for dinner and drinks. Restaurants line the harbour, with a view of the late, 9pm sunset. I picked a Mexican restaurant, craving a margarita. In chatting with the couple next to me, they informed me a that you can ask to wear as Sombrero while you eat and gave me a few tips on things I should see while in New Zealand.

A little walk around before wandering home, as bars were coming to life on a Saturday night.

Day 87: Family Friends, Tacapuna, Jam Cafe, Eden Park Cricket, Viaduct (again)


Enjoying having my own room, I slept in and took my time getting ready before a family friend picked me up. We headed to his place, crossing thr bridge to North Auckland, where I met his roommate and sweet girlfriend. The couple and I took a short drive to the nearby neighborhood of Tacapuna. A beautiful afternoon walk along the be bay water over the black volcanic rock shore revealed multi million dollar homes with a view of Mt. Rangitoto.

After the walk, we ate lunch at a cute organic cafe called Jam on the main shopping area of Tacapuna. It reminded me somewhat of The Marina in San Francisco, for my Cali friends. They had quinoa on the menu.... didn't realize I missed quinoa! Cafes close super early in New Zealand, around 2 or 3pm or so.

We reunited with the roommate and the four of us headed to Eden Park in the afternoon for a game of cricket! Black Caps vs Sri Lanka. They tried their best to explain the rules to me... what what I learned? Cricket is nothing like baseball.


Beers, cider, and french fries on an sunny afternoon. What more can you ask for? Be warned... the hole in thr Ozone is above New Zealand, so "slip slop slap and wrap" as they say on the radio - you burn extremely quickly here.

A group of students from Lakeforest College, which is near where I grew up, happened to be sitting behind us. Small world? I tried to explain some of the game to them as best as I could.

After the game we walked to to a nearby bar for some drinks and bar food before heading back downtown to the Viaduct to an Irish pub, where another friend met up with us. Fish and chips and more drinks! Goodnight!

Day 88: Kitekite Trek and Falls, Piha Beach, Centennial Park, Limestone Beach



Around mid morning, my friend, his gf, and I drove an hour away to take around short trek to Kitekite falls and Piha Beach. Auckland is so spread out, so even after driving this far - we are still in the same city!



It was definitely worth the winding drive. The 30 -ish minute trek through lush forest alongside a bubbling stream lead us to a towering waterfall, Kitekite. Another 10 minutes or so brought us to the top.
Romantic moment with my imaginary boyfriend...


A short drive to sea level brings you to Piha Beach, one of the most dangerous beaches in the country. Swim between the red and yellow flags! Constant waves splash in between massive cliff formations. It almost reminded me of SF, in that the water is freezing and you might want a jacket due to the wind. However, heaps of people sunned themselves and played in the waves, which is a rare sight back into SF.


Day of the camouflage hat

Little side shop, Adey's, gave us cheap, satisfying lunch, perfect for a day at the beach.

Back in North Auckland, later that afternoon, I took a stroll through nearby Centennial Park. I really enjoy the late sunsets here; it allows for later walks and let's you do so much more with your day!

On the opposite side of the park, I found my way down to the beach. I don't know what it's called, but great rock formations branched out into the water. I think they are limestone - whatever they are, they are impressive. Locals walked their dogs and went for runs and played rugby. I could live here.... easily....


Walking back, I saw a house with the new New Zealand flag - well the likely new flag. They vote on it in March, but this one is the probable winner.


Quiet movie night with the roommates!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!