Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Wednesday, January 13, 2016

Sanur, Bali, Indonesia: Days 84, 85 + Thoughts on Bali

To be honest, I really didn't do much other than take a walk on the morning of day 85. I ate at the same restaurant 5 times in a row (Warung Baby Monkey) and other than breakfast, ordered chicken Mie Gorang for every meal. Other than that: pool time and catch up on the blog.


I will say, I really like the Balinese people. More often than not, they are overly friendly and want to help you or talk to you. I also find both Balinese men and women to be extremely beautiful - which wasn't and thought that occurred to me in any other country.

It's crazy how they are developed: in that they have recycling programs and rend wifi everywhere, yet the roads are more narrow than anywhere I've been and garbage on the street is still common I spite of the programs. Women carry everything from air tanks to sacks of ice to cases of beer on their heads.

I sat and talked with a girl who worked at my hostel. She was telling me how their leader made programs for the homeless, but the homeless want to continue living under the bridges. His response was - use the program and sleep off the street, find somewhere else off the street, or I'll shoot you. And I guess when he says he'll have you shot - he means it. So interesting how different the culture can be from one country to the next. Balinese people agree that they should be off the street. Americans would more likely say they can sleep on the street if they want to... hmmm.

All I know is that I'm writing this from my car in New Zealand where if you sleep in your car in the wrong place, you get a $200 fine on the spot.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Sounds like you needed a day 85. I've been exhausted since day 3!

    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!