Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Christchurch, New Zealand: Days 99, 100, 101

January 22-24, 2016

Day 99: Christchurch Botanical Gardens, World Buskers Festival, Art Gallery, Sunset Drive


First of all.... the Wellington airport is amazing.....






I met a nice man on the plane, flying into Christchurch. He bragged about his daughter's athletic abilities; she was in a mini circus with her boyfriend and his brother, performing at the World  Buskers Festival later in the afternoon. Our plane landed, on its second attempt (apparently the runway suddenly wasn't clear), and I decided to go see this man's daughter's act, since she sounded extremely talented.

A family friend lives in Christchurch and snuck away from work to pick me up from the bus terminal. He dropped me off and stored my bag while I explored the city and he returned to work. After a brief late lunch at a cafe, I sought out the festival. It was held in Hagley Park, which is quite large, so it took me a bit of looking to find the L&P stage where the Biggest Little Circus would perform.


I'm so glad I went. They are an extremely talented trio, but this man's daughter truly shines.

Afterwards, I wandered through the Botanical Gardens and greenhouse and napped under a tree, contemplating once more where my life may be headed.


I woke up 40 minutes later and decided to check out the local Art Gallery, which had just reopened since the earthquakes in 2011.


My friend got off work and we caught up back at his flat with his girlfriend and her brother for most of the evening. He is a big skier and two of his friends competed in a ski run that aired live that night. I snuck away for and couple of hours to meet up with and friend from Ubud to watch the sun set over the city.


Day 100: Happy Birthday to Me! Taylor's Mistakes Walk and Beach


One of the biggest cravings I've had on this trip has been for cheese. So for my birthday, my friend took me to a local cheese shop, Canterbury Cheese Mongers, to spoil me with delicious New Zealand cheeses.


After making our selections and bringing back fresh baked bread to accompany it, saving it for later in the evening, the three of us along with his girlfriend's brother drove out to Taylor's Mistake. Named after a sailor who thought he'd arrived elsewhere, the point provides a nice, long ealk with stunning views. We stopped to look at some of the bunkers remaining from WWII before looping around towards the beach.


I'm such around wimp, due to being spoiled by war tropical waters, so getting me into the cold New Zealand waves proved to be around challenge. Finally, I caved and dove head first into the oncoming waves. Following some moments drying in the sun, we stopped for lunch and birthday drinks on the way home.


Back at the flat that evening, we devoured the cheeses, bread, and salami. My family friend prepared me a Pavlova birthday cake, decorated with kiwi fruit and 24 long candles. (I'm now 27, but didn't mind having three short). A couple more friends arrived and after they sang 'Happy Birthday,' it's tradition for the birthday person to cut the first piece of cake and make a wish.

Beer pong and tequila shots ensued. My partner and I won twice - great skills I bring from University days, nailing the game winning cup both games. On Wisconsin!

Day 101: Recovery and watching 'When a City Falls'


I was pretty worthless today and slept on the couch for most of it. My friend was kind enough to make me a beautiful breakfast.

 I did watch a documentary about the earthquakes in Christchurch, 'When a City Falls.' I had no idea about the extent of devastation here, nor how long it lasted. Yesterday, my friend's girlfriend pointed out to me me a piece of the Twin Towers from NYC, a symbol of the partnership between the US and New Zealand. New Zealand had sent help after the attacks in New York, while we sent help to Christchurch following the earthquakes.

There are almost no tall buildings in Christchurch, anymore. Their downtown is finally reopening and rebuilding, so it's unlike other cities in that you don't really feel like you are "downtown."

That afternoon and evening, we watched a marathon of Netflix tv and ate scrumptious burgers.

1 comment:

  1. Thirdly, this study argues that state land policies were essential in the construction of the idea of a modern state of Jordan. Cheap Jordan Shoes, The first major articulation of the state's relationship to society in Jordan lay in its land policies and society’s reaction to them. This began with the Ottoman period and lasted well into the 20th century. In no other colonial setting in the Middle Hast did the state so thoroughly intervene in and restructure land matters by the 1940s, and the introduction of European concepts of land ownership and exploitation went far toward contributing to the development not only of the country’s economy but of its identity and self-conceptualization as well. 'This Western-designed campaign to survey land,Retro Jordans, establish and register definitive land rights, and its creation of a new system of land taxation, were thus of vital importance in creating the very nature of modern “Jordan." In the first place, these state programs

    linked the state with society's need to secure private individual property rights at the expense of collective village rights at a crucial period of time. The state came to occupy a role, alongside the village, the family,jordan releases, and the shaykh, as a main arbiter of a peasant’s access to land rights. The state also was perceived as a positive force in society by upholding individual claims even if it dealt a blow to corporate village claims; land was now owned through a state-issued deed, not just through village custom. Persons of low socio-economic status, women,Jordans for sale, and others often used state procedures to their advantage and secured claims to land long denied them by more powerful social actors.

    A sense of “Jordan” was also created by state-societal interaction in land matters. Property by the 1950s was no longer defined merely by conceptualizations of a share of the village's land but by state-issued maps and deeds. The state entered forcefully into the equation. In surveying land and registering land rights systematically,Cheap Jordans, the state was reconceptualizing the spatial dimensions of the country as well.Village boundaries were also literally drawn by the state on maps. Popular notions of space were being changed by the government. These processes were done in consultation with the villagers, but their result was that vilhages conceived of their socio-economic space in terms of reference created by the state along Western lines.


    ReplyDelete

Please share your thoughts!