Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Wellington, New Zealand: Days 96, 97, 98

January 19-21, 2016

Day 96: Drive to Wellington, Victoria's Peak, Rosemary Lamb + Pavlova 


I woke to the quiet hum of the surrounding Tongariro forest and shortly after hit the road. The sun lit up the mountains while the distinctive New Zealand clouds tried to cover them. Driving carefully, not over 80km/hr on my little spare tire, this truly proved that driving through the middle of the country is just as magnificent as driving the coastline. After an hour or so, now in cell service, I called the rental company about my tire. They arranged for it to be changed in the next town.



A free hot chocolate in the waiting room later, the Little Booger and I were back in action. A hitchhiker stood with a sign for Wellington - so to get the full Kiwi experience, I picked him up. He was a nice guy from Israel who had hitchhiked his way around for the past month. He'd met some generous people who invited him into their homes and fed him and made genuine connections. In all of this time, I was the only tourist to pick him up.

We arrived to Wellington where I dropped him downtown and said goodbye. Deciding that I should eat, I found parking and wandered onto a pedestrian only street for a small bite and cider. A Gothic cross dressed man ordered a latte in front of me, making me feel like I was back in San Francisco.

After, I drove up to Victoria's Peak to look over the 360 degree view of the city.

When I'd arrived in New Zealand, I checked in on Facebook, announcing my arrival. A friend I'd met in Hong Kong offered me arrived place to stay when I got to Wellington. Knowing that he'd accepted and started a job in HK, I asked him when he got back home. He replied that he wouldn't be home, but I could stay with his parents. See what I mean about these people? They make me want to be a better person.

His family lives in Upper Hutt, just north of Wellington. I arrived in the mid afternoon at the same time as his father and sister. They made me feel right and home and tend treated me like a close family friend. I learned how to play Settlers of Catan and met their chickens in the backyard and they gathered fresh eggs. And I got to do laundry for the first time since New Years!

To top it off - his dad made rosemary lamb, his sister made fresh salad picked from their garden, and for dessert - Pavlova - a sugary center covered in cream and topped with fruit - kiwis in particular. Sometimes I feel spoiled.


Day 97: Lord of the Rings Movie Set Tour, Sailing on the Bay


This morning, my friend's mom drove me into the city, so that I wouldn't have to park my car. She is absolutely the sweetest! We were a bit early for my tour, so she walked me around a bit, pointing out where the Lord of the Rings premier took place and the bike path around the harbour. A short while later I was picked up for my Wellington Lord of the Rings Movie Set Tour.

So many scenes took place in little corners surrounding and in Wellington. Of course, the sets are no longer there, so our guide, Smuggles, pointed out trees and landmarks to identify the spots. Before each location he played a clip of the movie in the van, then at the actual film area, held up large still shots so we could take a picture of him holding a picture.


In certain locations, we got to do a bit of reenactment.


With lunch at Rivendell.


And at trip to Weta Workshop at the end of the day - where the weapons and costumes and more are brought to life.



At the day's end, I met up with my temporary family at the grocery store. It was their other son's birthday, so we sailed out into Wellington Harbour to anchor at Matiu Somes Island. A dalmatian led the way, trying to catch us fish.


Once anchored, we had a barbecue of course.


Then cake for the birthday boy.

Day 98: Botanical Gardens, Te Pa Pa Museum,  Shed 5, Welsh Bar


After breakfast and goodbyes and thank yous, I set to explore more of the city. First the beautiful botanical gardens.

Then I had to return Little Booger back to Jucy Car rental and make my way back into town. I checked into the YHA (great hostel) and dropped my bag.

The Te Pa Pa Museum happens to be free and perhaps one of the best free museums I've seen. I waited in line 45 minutes to see their popular Gallipoli exhibit - talking about all of the New Zealanders lost in the war, with giant life-like statues made by Weta Workshop.

I explored other exhibits, spending around 3 hours in the museum. Also peeked into their private event space, because I'm nosy.

Then, a nice stroll along the harbour on the windy, but sunny afternoon to find something to eat. I stopped at Shed 5 - mostly because of the name. Their attached restaurant - the Crab Shack, looked straight out onto the boat we'd sailed on last night. I enjoyed a cider and calm chowder before returning to the hostel to relax.

Later, I wandered to the Welsh Bar across the street from my hostel. The vibe there is great - and definitely a great place to lose yourself in. However, I just had some chicken and a cider before calling it a night.

Early flight in the morning!!

1 comment:

Please share your thoughts!