Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Empowerment



Sola en la Plaza de Valencia, España



Never have I ever been afraid to do things alone - definitely one of my strengths. I'm that person you see eating dinner by themselves and maybe feel a bit awkward for them - don't! I love it. Whether it's the movies, outdoor activities, meals, or whatever, there is something peaceful in not relying on others to surround you in order to go out and do something fun (this was super helpful when I was single - maybe that's why I'm so good at it). I was so happy the other day when I visited Twin Peaks and saw other individuals making the same hike alone. Some were getting in their work out; others looks like tourists or perhaps live in the city like me.

One big thing that the company I work for pushes is empowerment. They empower each and every employee to make a special moment for one of our guests. That's the same feeling I get when I do something new and fun by myself - empowered. Maybe on a subconscious level it's soothing to know that if I somehow end up a spinster with twenty cats and no friends, I'll still go to see the latest Ryan Gosling movie or eat some fresh seafood, so at least my life wouldn't be completely monotonous.

I studied abroad in Spain for four months while in college. As most Europe study abroad ventures go, each and every weekend I found myself in a new city with the friends I made through the program. However, my absolute favorite weekend was a trip I booked for one to Valencia. I didn't have to wait for hung over people to wake up to go explore the city or have to make a group decision on which sites/restaurants/activities to see or do. I met some amazing people from England, Australia, Switzerland, and Indiana (Midwest girls need to stick together!) and had an overall amazing experience.   Sometimes the courage to travel to that foreign city, making your mother crazy worried that you're there alone, is the perfect way to make unforgettable memories :) See a few random pictures from Valencia scattered on this post.

So, I guess the point of me posting this is the following: go do something even if no one can join you! You've been waiting to try out that new wine bar, but no one has the time? Hell, go for it. Test out a running club or farmer's market; go to the movies or park or beach; visit to a cheesy tourist attraction or shopping destination. Whatever outing you've been contemplating doesn't necessarily need to wait.

I guess on a side note I should add, I'm not implying to push people away either. You can also empower yourself to make friends and invite them with you on any of your random excursions. For me, it's easy to invite people and rewarding to go do it alone. 


2 comments:

  1. Jenn, I seriously love your blog! I'm so proud of you for making one. What is our adventure going to be next week??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thinking karaoke or gay bar. Or salsa dancing. Or all of the above :)

      Delete

Please share your thoughts!