Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Boston Day 3: Mike's Pastry, Old North Church, Charles River



Paul Revere and the Old North Church in the background
Today has been a fairly laid back day, just as vacation should be. Another slow morning before heading to the North End of Boston where Mike's Pastry awaited with endless sweets. The anticipation was killing me as I'd seen countless people yesterday with Mike's Pastry boxes. I've only ever seen cannolies on Cake Boss until today. F and I selected Florentine and Pistachio cannolies to start our day. Nothing like what I expected. I guess my mind was thinking cream puff; this was very different: harder, crunchier shell and thick rich creame. So delicious, but I don't think I'd be able to eat more than one, since they are so rich.



We wandered around the North End for the rest of the morning along the Freedom Trail, a line of bricks in the middle of the sidewalk lead us from one historic attraction to the next. We journeyed from Paul Revere monument to the Old North Church to the second oldest graveyard in the US, then down to the harbor before turning around and passing Paul Revere's house off of a picturesque square I forget the name of.





I just found out one of my ancestors is buried in this graveyard
- wish I could have looked for the headstone!
Crossing to Cambridge, driving through Harvard and MIT, we walked along Charles River and downtown on our way to lunch at Garden at The Cellar. A friendly acquaintance of F's is the chef there, so he was kind enough to send us out a dish before our meals of beet salad and pastrami sandwich. Full and satisfied again, we headed back towards the river and leisurely trekked half way across the bridge to admire Boston's beauty, especially on such a sunny and cloudless day.

Later, we had to make a somewhat touristy stop at Cheers before dinner. If I have to explain what Cheers is, I'll cry. 

Where Everybody Knows Your Name!

Finally, we had glasses of vino while waiting for a table at Toro. Well worth any wait. Tapas and paella made me feel like I was back in Spain. It's understandable why the place is constantly packed: amazing food and great atmosphere. The music is kind of out of place, blasting rap and pop when you'd think they'd play something more guitar based, but tall ceilings, dark wood, candlelight, and touches of Spain make up for the music. There is a bull head art piece on the wall and in the bathrooms they have posters "advertising" El Real Maestro de Sevilla en la Plaza de Toros, which I love as Sevilla is where I lived and saw an actual bull fight. 




Bone Marrow


They call this a "spite" house - to spite those who wanted to hang out in the alleyways

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!