Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Sunday, April 7, 2013

Chicago: Funeral, Pizza Rustica, Crepe Town

This weekend, my grandma's funeral took place in my home town in Illinois, West of Chicago. This was the first time I flew anywhere for a funeral, making it a new, bittersweet experience. My grandma lived a full, family filled life. I can only hope to love and laugh as much. Her service was beautiful and took place in the church where her and my grandpa married. In spite of the sadness of saying goodbye, the one bright side of a funeral, seeing the entire family and close friends, made the weekend a pleasant one. My aunts, uncles, cousins, brother, parents and I shared stories of growing up and sorted through old photo albums. I even met my cousin's daughter for the first time, as I've not been home since June.

Returning to Chicago a few hours early for my evening flight, I grabbed a drink, early dinner, and dessert with two of my closest friends from college, M and E. I hadn't seen my college roommate M in over two years, and the last time i saw E was when she saw me off to California one year ago. We all caught up and laughed over salads, wine, and flat bread pizza at Pizza Rustica. It's one of M's favorite places that she takes everyone who visits to eat. The food was great as well as the atmosphere. The only downside was our waiter who seemed confused the whole time and told us the 12-5pm menu wasn't available because the kitchen was too busy (it was 4pm and they weren't that busy). In the summer, M says they open the windows, have great patio seating, with lights strung across the sidewalk. Sounds inviting!
We headed across the street for dessert at Crepe Town. Great decision. We ordered a banana and hot caramel with vanilla ice cream as well as a strawberry custard crepe to share between the three of us. Delicious. Would definitely recommend it and return :)

Now I'm way too early for my flight and need to occupy myself with something. See you soon San Francisco!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!