Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Tequila, Urban Flow Yoga

If you couldn't tell by my previous post, I was a bit stressed out yesterday - just with a lot on my mind. No better way to fix stress than with yoga and tequila, although after today, I wouldn't recommend them together. (Not that I would have recommended them together before...)

Yoga was in my after-work plan for the day. Tequila snuck its way in there. A coworker from another department invited me for a happy hour drink, and I couldn't refuse. After all, I missed his birthday celebrations a few weeks ago! Anyways, three of us ended up taking a shot (okay two shots) of tequila after work. I tried to balance out out with a side of asparagus, but I already knew that I was about to make yoga all the more difficult.

Yoga, something I mocked in high school but grew to love in college, frequently helps me with stress and to relax. I don't consistently practice, but still feel pretty attached to the work outs. I knew last night that yoga would be the perfect medicine for my anxiety. Urban Flow never disappoints. Given, this was only my second visit, it's the type of studio that reassures you that each session will be as great or greater than the previous. Each class cranks up the heat, they have tons of windows letting the sun shine through, and it is an overall calming, warm environment. Both teachers I've had were very in tune with Bhakti Flow, oneness with nature, and all that jazz, encouraging the dedication of your practice to another. Brad, today's instructor, is probably the best I've ever had in helping with my form (or maybe my form needed extra help today due to the tequila). He frequently circulated the room and stopped at almost each student to correct their form in the most positive and encouraging manner. He actually assisted me in holding a pose for a full ten seconds, which is a long time if you've ever taken a class. It felt amazing to have proper form and push myself when I wouldn't have been able to hold it without him. Urban Flow is unique in that it is by donation, and no donation is too small. Note: if you are paying by credit card, it is minimum of $16.

Now that I've sweat out the tequila, it's time for chicken pad Thai, no tofu. These people recognize me from coming here so much. Happy Saturday night :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!