Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Saturday, February 23, 2013

Chinese New Year Parade, Stock In Trade, Comstock

One of my absolute favorite things is a parade! The streets are full of people and families in good spirits, anxiously lining up long before the first band starts marching. I loved being a band nerd in high school, participating in our local parades (Clarinet, in case you were wondering), so maybe that's why I look forward to hearing the kids play music, everyone dressed up in bright colors, and the theme of each parade shinning through! 

Of course, this parade did not disappoint - after all, it's the Year of the Snake! Happy Chinese New Year! (I actually learned in the cab ride home tonight, that the Chinese New Year Parade originated in San Francisco to draw tourism, and people from China have come just to view it. Parades have now started in China to celebrate in imitation!) So I stood for and hour and a half, just to watch the first 45 minutes of the parade, before rushing to my next stop of the night. Perks of watching from the parade's beginning point: the awesome firecrackers they set off (see picture of bright sparks below!). Also, as I began looking for a cab to dinner, I was able to walk down Market Street and see all of the floats that were waiting to start the route, including the Big Dragon that comes at the end (another lesson from tonight's final cab driver: it's bad luck to go to the parade and not see the Dragon! So, I'm glad I passed by! Also - these kids spend all year prepping for this parade - it is like a sport and an art and an honor. Super cool). So I got to see most of the 3 hour parade within an hour!

See a few pictures of the parade below! I felt like an amazing photographer in the moment, only to find that most of my pictures are garbage. I guess that's not my calling!





Next stop of the night: Stock In Trade. Brand spanking new bar/restaurant in the Marina district. It is absolutely huge. Perfect for large party gatherings/birthday celebrations. There were about 9 of us tonight, so it worked out well. Oh - and they have a Bocce Ball course set right in the middle of the bar. I apologize for the horrid picture, but you get the idea. The food was good, nothing to write home about, but decent. Server was nice and overall good experience. It's loud, so I think I'd only return for large group outings/bocce ball :) Or maybe just to get hammered :-P


Huge dessert - like an elephant ear with whip cream.
Or maybe it was ice cream... not sure.
Last stop for this girl was Comstock. Very cool, classy bar. The picture pretty much says it all. Also - live string music from above your head (see blurred picture [sorry!]). I'd return to this one. Food going to tables looks pretty tasty too! As always, I have to be the responsible one and get some shut-eye for work in the morning. Night, night!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!