Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

SF Museum Of Modern Arts

Every first Tuesday of the month, museums all over the city have free admission. I can't believe I didn't know this until now! Today I left work a bit early to explore the MOMA on 3rd & Mission. (I also stopped in the Yerba Buena Contemporary Art Museum, but several exhibits are under construction,  and the ones I saw creeped me out a bit)

MOMA is great! The friendly staff pointed me in the right direction and made exhibit recommendations. I can't pretend to know a great deal about art,  but definitely appreciate [most] of it. Some of their permanent collections include works from Matisse, very whimsical and full of color (I get it), but also Paul Klee, who has some interesting pieces and some simplistic pieces (which maybe I just don't understand). By simplistic I mean a young child may have also come up with the same picture. (See picture below). Currently on the 3rd floor, you will find an Apartheid in South Africa photo gallery. This was by far the most moving, displaying photos from three photographers: 1. a privileged, white male, 2. a working class, black male 3. a bouncer at a popular club in Cape Town. It was very moving, and I definitely recommend it. On the 5th floor, there is a coffee shop and roof garden with a few outdoors-y exhibits.

Moma made for a pleasant afternoon - check it out! (I'll have to report back on Yerba Buena when I see the full exhibit- although I can already tell it's not my thing)


I really like this one - each shot is the sky line of different
parts of San Francisco. If you take the time to look, you can
clearly see some of your favorite, memorable skylines!


Paul Klee... Forgive me, I just don't get it




Picture from the club in the Apartheid exhibit

  
By the line at the coffee shop

5th Floor Rooftop garden exhibit


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!