Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Monday, February 11, 2013

Golden Gate Park - Part 1

Did you know that there are waterfalls in the Golden Gate Park? I didn't until today.

I've still been feeling a bit on the sick side, so I meant to just take Jagger for a quick walk. It was too beautiful outside not to return to the park for a little jog and exploring time. I'd only meant to visit one small memorial, but caught myself up in the sights of the park... and got a little lost.

First, Jagger and I enjoyed the sun on the lawn in front of the Conservatory of Flowers. A few older men brightly played their horn, guitar, and hand drums while another juggled nearby.





























After lunch, I returned to the park, seeking the Portals of the Past. In my search, I passed by a few familiars then found a decent hike! Stow Lake, full of ducks and people rowing or pedaling boats,  surrounds Strawberry Hill. (The Beatles instantly came to my mind - so while hiking this song played in my head). I took in the sights,  climbed up the hill off path, and looked over the park and city. On the way down the oppisite side, I found a beautiful waterfall.




I took the short cut - straight up from the bridge!
View from Strawberry Hill



























But - I still hadn't found what I was looking for. So I wandered on. See pictures below for my accidental discoveries of the afternoon.

Memorial for the San Francisco Sons of the West
who fought in WWI and WWII

Grove near the WWI&II Memorial
























Finally, I found Lloyd Lake and the Portals of the Past. Something I only heard of this afternoon while researching places to explore. Read more about it here.


























I also l got lost oh my way out and stumbled into the middle of a disc golf course.  I guess that's what happens when you go off trail. So glad I decided to turn my short work out into a park exploration day! Several places to return to on a date or with friends!

         I did not see this sign until leaving.... Maybe I should stick to the paths more?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!