Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Thursday, March 7, 2013

Biscuits & Blues

What a fun pick tonight. I don't go to nearly as much live music as I should or used to see. Yelp assisted me in finding Biscuits & Blues, which made for the perfect night out for my friend from college, C, and I to check out. Located between Union Square (tourist central) and the Tenderloin (watch your wallets), this jazz/blues underground restaurant holds a variety of characters - young, old, foreign, or slightly crazy. They serve Southern, Louisiana inspired dishes and drinks. Simple with a kick of spice. Very reasonable prices that will sneak up on you after ordering a few drinks. Also, a small cover charge, depending on who is performing.

Justa Peach & Louisiana Lemonade
Worth it. I had a blast - much needed after a stressful day at work. C won in ordering stronger drinks, but I can't say I didn't enjoy my super sweet iced tea (with a kick of vodka of course). My jambalaya was fantastic. Filling and the perfect amount of spice. Even better was Kevin Russell - tonight's entertainment. Musician in his 50s or 60s that definitely rocks it out now as strong and hard as ever! He began with heart felt blues, but eventually steered into some rock, which you could tell was his passion. I couldn't stop smiling, moving to the beat, or trying to sing along. During the last song, some guy who must be a regular stood in front of the stage and started to do a tap-like dance you'd only see in a movie or perhaps the streets of New Orleans.

Only downside to this place was that I wanted to dance, but there wasn't a dance floor! In spite of that, I will be back. I suppose I could have joined the random guy, so I guess not having an official dance floor is just an excuse.

On another note, C and I discovered that every credit card has either V, AMEX, MC, or DISCOVER only visible under black light. Wisconsin licenses have wavy lines and California licenses have a bright hollogram if your picture, also only under black light.  Yes, random, but now you know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!