Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter egg coloring, California Academy of Sciences

Such a different Easter than last year. A year ago, I had moved to to the city just days before,  didn't know anyone,  and passed the day with a group of wonderful women in their 30/40s that I'd randomly met at a bar. Today, I had to work.
I was not about to let work stand in my way of enjoying this day. I brought in three dozen eggs and all the necessary supplies to make an egg coloring station at work. Kids that came through got to decorate their hard boiled egg with stickers and rubber bands to make fun patterns before letting them soak in one or several the colors. Definitely a success!  Especially since I got to design about 10.

After work, a friend and I checked out the California Academy of Sciences, located in Golden Gate Park across the way from the de Young Museum. Unbelievable. I wish we'd had more than two hours to explore. (They close at 5 on Sundays and due to work we didn't get there in until 3 or so). They have interesting exhibits about endangered and extinct animals,  human development from apes, and even an earthquake section where you can experience what one feels like and learn how to act in the event of a disaster. The best two sections, hands down, are the aquarium and the rainforest.
I could have spent the entire two hours in the aquarium alone. From Jelly fish to seahorses to giant fish I forget the names of, it was amazing and seemingly endless. And then we find the rainforest exhibit. Walk from the forest floor to the canopy as butterflies and birds flutter around you. Just be sure make sure a little butterfly doesn't sneak out the door with you!

There was so much more to explore but not enough time. I will definitely be back! Ended the night with an amazing lamb dinner and glass of wine. Yup - solid day.







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!