Taking advantage of opportunities and enjoying what life has to offer

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

World Baseball Classic: 2013 Championship

Happy!

Sitting in the front row at the World Baseball Classic 2013 Championship was not on my agenda for this week. In fact, I was supposed to be in Arizona right now for a mini - vaca (heading out tomorrow -stay tuned for posts this week!). Instead, the unbelievably generous world gave me two front row tickets, right near the pitching bullpen of the Dominican Republic (who I was supporting, just like last night's game). Long story short: I showed kindness to a stranger in need, who in return thanked me by showering me with two days of tickets. I am beyond blown away by and grateful for her generosity.

Front row. No one standing in front of your view other than the occasional referee. Fewer people trying to squeeze by because everyone wants to take advantage of their seats. Multiple chances to catch a stray ball. What an experience! R came with me to the game and I told her to cheer for the DR, even though she didn't actually have a preference. So much fun. We even accidentally ended up on the Jumbotron! It started to rain in one of the first innings, but surprisingly, it really didn't bother us too much or even feel very cold. Other than the calling of garlic fries and hot dogs, we stuck out the rain until the top of the 8th inning, finding vacated seats and moving back a few rows to get shelter.

The WBC has an entirely different vibe than American games. It seemed that every other person had a whistle or drum or horn or some other sound making device. Not only that - they could actually play these instruments together to make decent music for dancing instead of just loud noises! Thank you Puerto Rico for that one! Even outside AT&T park, groups from both Puerto Rico & DR sang and danced. Everyone seemed to be more into shouting inside the game than you might find at an American. Although let's be honest, I've never sat in the lower level either, and that more than likely makes a difference. One last big difference, a significant increased number of police decided to attend. Hmm.

Such a great night - I'm glad I splurged on changing my flight in order to attend. In purchasing tickets in the future - and in comparing last night's Club Level seats to the Lower Box/Front row seats, I might actually go for the club level. You get a better overall angle and don't have to fight crowds to get food. Although the up close and personal views of the players... well, let's just say - very nice!

Cherry on top - Dominican Republic won!! 3 - 0. Great night.

Bullpen
Flags before the game

DR wins World Baseball Classic Championship 2013!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please share your thoughts!